- The Arjuna Awards were established instituted in 1961.
- To be eligible for the Award, a sportsperson should have had not only good performance consistently for the previous three years at the international level with excellence for the year for which the Award is recommended but also should have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and sense of discipline.
- The Award consists of a statuette, a scroll of honor, ceremonial dress and a Cash Award of Rs. 5.00 lakh will be presented to the winners in a function to be held at a place and on a date to be decided by the Government of India.
- No Award will be made for a second time to the same person.
- From the year 2001, the award is given only in disciplines falling under the following categories:
- Olympic Games / Asian Games / Commonwealth Games / World Cup / World Championship Discipline and Cricket
- Indigenous Games
- Sports for the Physically Challenged.
Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award:
- Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award formerly known as the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in Sports and Games. Prime Minister Narendra Modi renames Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award after Dhyan Chand, legendary Hockey player.
- Khel Ratna award was instituted in the year 191-92 to supply the lack of a supreme national accolade in the field of sports. The Arjuna awards, which predate the Khel Ratna Award.
- A selection committee consisting of eminent people affiliated with sports is constituted every year by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports to evaluate sporting performances. Usually, performance between April 1st of one year to March 31st of the next year is considered.
- The spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson in a year shall be honored with the Khel Ratna Award for excellence in Sports & games at the international level i.e. Olympic/Asian/Commonwealth/World Games/Championships/World Cup or any equivalent recognized international tournament.
- A person can receive this award only once in his lifetime and must be nominated for the award by a Member of Parliament, State Governments, the Sports Authority of India or national sports federations. The committee makes a recommendation to the ministry and after this is vetted at various levels in the government, the nominee is invested with the award by the President of India. the awardee is given a cash prize of 25lakh.