The Government of India ordered the setting up of a permanent National Statistical Commission (NSC) on 1st June 2005 on the recommendation of the C. Rangarajan Commission. The National Statistical Commission assumed charge on 12th July 2006. Professor Suresh Tendulkar became the first chairperson of the NSC.
Constitution of NSC
- A part-time chairperson who will be an eminent statistician or social scientist.
- Four part-time members, one each from the following fields of specialization and experience in
- economic statistics in such areas as agriculture, industry, infrastructure, trade or finance.
- social and environmental statistics in such areas as population, health, education, labor and employment or environment.
- statistical operations in such areas as censuses, surveys, statistical information systems or information technology.
- national accounts, statistical modeling or state statistical systems.
- The Secretary, Planning Commission as an ex-officio member.
- The Secretary, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation to function as ex-officio member secretary of the Commission till the Chief Statistician of India, the post created specifically as the Head of the National Statistical Office will be the Secretary of the Statutory Commission.