The Ministry of Culture is the Indian government ministry charged with preservation and promotion of art and culture in India.
Lalit Kala Akademi
- Lalit Kala Akademi was established at New Delhi in 1954 to promote and propagate undertakings of Indian Art within and outside the country.
- The akademi has regional centres called Rashtriya Lalit Kala Kendras at Lucknow, Kolkata, Chennai, Garhi in New Delhi and Bhubaneshwar with workshop facilities in painting, sculpture, print making and ceramics.
Sangeet Natak Akademi
- India's national academy for music, dance and drama is the first National Academy of the arts set-up by the republic of India. It was created by a resolution of the Ministry of Education, Government of India notified in the Gazette of India on June 1952. The akademi became functional in 1953. Dr P.V. Rajamannar was appointed as its first chairman.
- In 1961, the Sangeeth Natak Akademi was reconstituted by the government as a society and registered under the Societies Registration Act of 1860. it is apex body specialization in the performing arts of the country.
- The UNESCO declared Kuttiyattam Sanskrit Theatre of Kerla as a Master piece of oral and intangible Heritage of Humanity in May 2001.
- Lalgudi G. Jayaraman, Shree Ram Lagoo, Yamini Krishnamurthy, Kamlesh Dutt Tripathi, Pandit Jasraj and Kishori Amonkar were chosen as the Fellows of Akademi for 2009.
National School of Drama
- National School of Drama was set up by Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1959. Later in 1975 it became an autonomous organization, totally finance by ministry of culture.
- Only 20 students are admitted to the course every year.
- The first ever National Theatre Festival christened Bharat Rang Mahotsav was held from March to April 14, 1999.
- Shahitya Akademi is 'The Indian National Academy of letters', meant to promote the cause of Indian Literature.
- It was founded in March 1954 as an autonomous body fully funded by the Department of Culture.
- Shahitya Academy has recognised 24 languages.
- In 2004-05, Academy has celebrated its Golden Jubilee.
- The highest honour conferred by the Academy.
- Institute of Historical Research is situated at Kolkata.
- Anita Desai (English Novelist), Ravindra Kelekar (Konkani Writer) and Kartar singh Duggai (Punjabi Writer) were awarded Sahitya Akademi Fellowship for 2007.
Zonal Cultural Centers in India
- North Central Zone Cultural Centre, Allahabad
- North East Zone Cultural Centre, Dimapur
- South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Nagpur
- South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Thanjavur
- West Zone Cultural Centre, Udaipur
- North Zone Cultural Centre, Paitala
- East Zone Cultural Centre, Kolkata
Official Web address of Ministry of Culture (India) : www.indiaculture.nic.in