- The first aircraft in India was set up at Bangalore in 1940 under the name of Hindustan Aircraft Ltd it was a private company and was taken over by the government in 1942.
- Later on, it was merged into Aeronautics India Limited in 1964 to form Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL), Bangalore.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd has 12 divisions with 19 production units across 7 locations in the country.
The main divisions of HAL where various parts of aircraft are produced:
- Nasik division: In Nasik division MIG airframe is manufactured.
- Koraput division: In Koraput division the engine for MIG aircraft is manufactured.
- Hyderabad division: In Hyderabad division electronic equipment for MIG is manufactured.
- Kanpur division: In Kanpur division transport aircraft are manufactured.
- Lucknow division: In luck division equipments and accessories for the aircraft are manufactured.
- Bangalore division: In Bangalore division research and development activities are carried out.
The aircraft manufacturers of India are:
- Hindustan Aeronautics
- Indian Rotorcraft
- Mahindra Aerospace
- Raj Hamsa Ultralights